Part One: Promotion Party



First Graders (at last!)

To add a personal touch to our “Stepping Up” program, the kindergarten team decided to sponsor individual parties and ceremonies within our own classrooms. Instead of a huge event in the cafeteria better known as organized chaos, we opted for something a bit short, sweet, and intimate. I immediately thought of my favorite book, Junie B., First Grader (at last!) by Barbra Park and how I wanted to give each of my kinders one. I then decided to incorporate my already Dr. Seuss themed room and ding, ding, ding… A bright idea flourished; I’d have a Dr. Seuss-themed Promotion Party. From the student-driven ceremony, photo booth full of fun props, the super cool Kidz Bop playlist and the multi-colored rug turned dance floor, to the deviled green eggs and ham, lasagne, with a custom made Dr. Seuss cake, our Promotion Party was incredible!

I had an amazing year with my kindergarteners and their families so I wanted to give them an unforgettable experience.

Parents were thrilled to receive their invitation! I purchased these custom invitations along with programs to match on Etsy.
 




Our program featured all of the students and included a welcome, pledge, mission statement, two songs, a poem, the presentation of certificates, and the closing. I thanked my parents for their patience during my transition from the states to the base. One parent even made Thanksgiving dinner for me and left her family to bring it to me at my hotel... AMAZING, right? I acknowledged my principal and assistant principal who were kind enough to pick me up from the airport after 9pm. We didn't reach the base until close to midnight and they had to work the next morning. Again, AMAZING! I surprised my substitute teachers, who were assigned to my class before I arrived, with gifts, and thanked them for showing me the routine. Last but not least, I was able to surprise my assistant with a massage and other cool gifts that she loved. The ceremony closed with our last dance with 'Celebrate' by Kool & the Gang... Celebrate good times, come on! We then invited the parents to join and it was so much fun!

After the ceremony, the parents ate lasagne while the students enjoyed hot dogs and baked beans. The students also enjoyed requesting balloons at the balloon station (a parent volunteered) and parents enjoyed creating memories at the photo booth (my colleague is also a professional photographer who came in to shoot during her lunch break) with Dr. Seuss props.

Check out some of the details below!

Photo Credit: Roxanne B.
















Thanks for reading my blog. Part 2 is coming soon!




No comments

Back to Top